About Life in B Major

I write stories of YOUR lives as I am a young entrepreneur that trying to deal with the hypocrisy of business, the perils of women, and deciphering the facade of people as they try to manipulate, screw, and extort you ... its a cold world out there, so I can only try to 'play' out my Life in B Major (witty huh?)

Sunday, November 11, 2007

Created Nostalgia


Image source: tru-thoughts


Created Nostalgia
Virtues: homesick, condition, feelings

Nostalgia is defined as the state of being homesick; a wistful or excessively sentimental yearning for return to or of some past period or or irrecoverable condition. Well, that is what is defined in the Webster dictionary, and we all have feelings of nostalgia when we hear a certain song, watch a movie, or read a certain magazine or article. I was talking recently with an older lady at my workplace in her 50's/60's about seafood or something; something dealing about cooking (don't ask why we were talking about that) and that conversation triggered nostalgia for her and took her back to a time of racial/social injustice in 1960/1970's U.S.A. (don't be shocked), specifically to the coastline towns of Massachusets. I won't get into the socio-racism part, because it is nothing new, but what triggered the memory for her was a diner in this coastal town that served up all kinds of seafood and delicacies - which actually was a positive memory for her as she recalled her friends and all of the good times she had there, but it seemed that she was looking at the 'optimistic side' of her memory as she didn't get into it deeply, but she recalled the overt and non-overt racism that was still fresh in the air. Looking at her face, she was deeply affected by this instance of nostalgia as she was a little emotional and overwhelmed - but she was trying to focus on the 'good', even though the 'bad' was much more emotionally moving.

After this event, I asked myself if it is possible that people try to create their own nostalgia - especially from negative and tormenting experiences. I imagine that they're a whole generation of peoples that have created their own nostalgia that focuses on the positivity - that is wrapped in a cocoon of hate, discrimination, and prejudice. I guess this is a coping mechanism for us to deal with the deep pain, hurt and suffering that some have experienced during this thing called life - I can't recall that I have done such thing, consciously speaking, but maybe I will know when I hear that classic song or read a certain book. I want to see if I will create my nostalgia; or if I will allow my nostalgia to embody its true form.

Enter cliche; I guess time will tell.

Peace.

1 comments:

Unknown said...

Funny i should happen upon this blog this morning. As I was riding into work this morning, i was listening to one of my favorite radio stations and they re-played a clip of the AMA's last night with Alicia Keys performance of one of her songs from her new album. she put a twist on the song by adding some Reggae artist with their hits from the early 90's and I experience such a feeling of nostalgia that brought me back home to The Bronx, NY (I relocated to Maryland 10 years ago) and my life at the time of these hits. I was so emotional listening to this, it was a good time for me back then.
Thank God for good memeories.