About Life in B Major

I write stories of YOUR lives as I am a young entrepreneur that trying to deal with the hypocrisy of business, the perils of women, and deciphering the facade of people as they try to manipulate, screw, and extort you ... its a cold world out there, so I can only try to 'play' out my Life in B Major (witty huh?)

Sunday, November 25, 2007

Tip What, Pt 2



Tip What, Pt 2
(view Part 1)
Virtues: Social Customs, service, ethics

As the Christmas holiday season approaches I'm hearing a lot of talk on tipping. For instance, people give tips to their mailman or mechanic - which I find interesting. I mean, I would love to work in a service industry where I am tipped just for performing my job duties, shit, maybe being a waiter is my calling as I purposely hang around your table after the bill has been served to ensure that I receive my tip. Or better yet, I should work in a hotel as a bellhop and conduct the same behavior. It would be sweet - I mean, I would get a regular salary (not much), but then I would base my service to customers on how well they have tipped me. Its interesting that this social customary called 'tipping' is almost mandatory in the service industry, however essentially it is almost a bribe - I mean, if one were to give a service contract or even a government employee a 'lil extra', society as a whole and I'm sure most courts of laws would consider that bribery. You know, 'Scratch my back, I'll scratch yours' type of logic.

I may sound a bit, ah, um ... real, but we have reached a pivotal time in our society where we want to be rewarded more for simply doing our jobs. I don't know what generation this has spawned out of, but this creates a climate where we don't necessarily tip for 'exceptional service', but we tip to ensure service. Meaning, you are not going to tip your mechanic because he does such great work, but more or less, you're tipping him for the hope he doesn't screw you over in the coming year. Same with the mailman, I don't know exactly how the mailman can provide 'exceptional' mail service (please share if you do), but if you tip him, you are doing so with the intentions that he performs his job by giving you regular mail service.

Now, maybe - correction, I know that people do actually tip these people during these seasons just based out of the goodness from their heart, and that is truly a beautiful thing. BUT, if you are planning on tipping just to procure services or to pretty much BRIBE, then you your f*cked.

Happy Holidays

(P.S. I rarely tip, only for exceptional above & beyond service. I don't do any percentage calculations of the bill, I dont give a ______ < insert word here)

0 comments: