About Life in B Major

I write stories of YOUR lives as I am a young entrepreneur that trying to deal with the hypocrisy of business, the perils of women, and deciphering the facade of people as they try to manipulate, screw, and extort you ... its a cold world out there, so I can only try to 'play' out my Life in B Major (witty huh?)

Sunday, March 23, 2008

Pussification pt. 1 - Criticism



Pussification, pt. 1 - criticism
Virtues: criticism (duh), bodies of work, constructive, pride, 'tough skin'
View Pussification pt. 0 - An Abstract, to get familiar.


This is not a piece on American Idol, as it continues another run to churn out a pop tart, I’m tired of Idol, but I’m going to use one of Idol’s ‘stars’ to touch on acts in pussification; specifically on the topic of ‘criticism’.

Many hate on him, but I think that Simon Cowell deserves some award for being so genuine - in an industry that doesn't know what the word means. We have all seen American Idol and especially the horrid singers perform a putrid rendition of a pop classic. Simon received criticism for being too brutally critical on these performers because he said "You are Horrible", "You can't sing", and other quips. The politically correct culture that we live in advocated that Simon should not be so negative to the contestants, which he should take on a more Paula approach & sugar coat any criticisms of the contestants.

On one hand, I get the reasoning of such an argument criticisms can affect self-esteem, and that can lead to some in losing their motivation. However, learning to handle criticism is necessary in life3B especially in any performance-.driven industry where you put yourself 'out there'.

Now, there is the Simon route of delivering criticism - which even I agree may be too harsh at times (but entertainingly funny), and then there is the blunt approach accompanied with an explanation. For example, "Molly the Singer, your performance was weak because of points A, B, and C, thus you shouldn't sing unless you correct A, B, and C" - that is the chord that one should strike when being critical, because being or saying anything else such as saying you like the performance when you didn't is not being real with yourself and is an act in pussification that you may think is small, but w/ repetition can manifest into a bigger & more problematic behavior.

As a Multimedia producer I have had to swallow harsh criticisms, I know that the criticism does not only attack your work/craft, but it attacks YOU because the work is a derivative of whom you are & all of your experiences, thoughts, and education. I learned to handle the harsh criticism, and now I even look forward to it (maybe that’s my pseudo way of coping w/ criticisms, who knows), but what I hated even worse was when someone said they 'liked' my work, but were lying because they 'did not want to hurt my feelings'. For those type of people I have no respect - And such is why I give you my 'all' when I'm asked for my opinion.

Because as Jay said "I may not always be right, but I'm real and that is how I sleep at night"

P.S. I sleep well!

.: d.b :.

View Pussification pt. 0 - An Abstract, to get familiar.

0 comments: