About Life in B Major

I write stories of YOUR lives as I am a young entrepreneur that trying to deal with the hypocrisy of business, the perils of women, and deciphering the facade of people as they try to manipulate, screw, and extort you ... its a cold world out there, so I can only try to 'play' out my Life in B Major (witty huh?)

Saturday, March 08, 2008

Silly Monkeys! Part 0: An Abstract




Silly Monkeys! Part 0: An Abstract
Virtues: 'Yuh tek man fi fool/joke', deceit, respect for others


Abstract: One day I was sitting in the offices of my business partners place of employment at an executive school. One of their co-workers who was an older white lady, let's say in their mid-40's made an off-color comment, it went something like, "What are you silly monkeys doing". Now, we are three young black men, and we have an older lady calling us silly monkeys - albeit she said it in a joking context. I had never met the lady before, but I took her comment as someone that was clueless to what that phrase signified to a black person. However, one of my business partner took gross offense to it - which I understood why, but deep down inside I believe that she honestly did not say those words in a racist context.

But the story mentioned above is not what this piece is about, at least not the historical/racist aspect of what 'silly monkey', 'monkey', or 'porchmonkey' means to the black community. I think silly monkey is an interesting concept that can be tied to when one treats another like an idiot; one whom is deceitful, manipulative to another, and they believe that the 'silly monkey' has no clue of what they are up to. I always had this concept in my mind, but I could not phrase properly - better yet, I could not phrase in such a sweet, concise catch phrase that captured the essence of the concept.

So thank you, middle-aged white lady who was trying to make a joke and be hip with her peers, you have armed me with a definition that is timeless, transcends races & borders, and describes a daily occurrence that I, and I think a lot of us have to go through - dealing with people that take us for joke.

.:: d.b

0 comments: